Texas French Bread began as a from-scratch bakery located in my family’s kitchen on 33rd Street central in Austin Texas in 1981. Over the years, we have served generations of Austinites, gradually expanding our offerings to include a range of freshly-baked artisan breads, pastries, and desserts, and building a vital wholesale bakery program. All of our baked goods are made from scratch, by hand using 100% organic grains with great attention to detail.
Our café emerged from the sandwiches that hungry bakers made to sustain themselves while working long shifts in the wee hours in front of a hot oven way back in our earliest days. Many of our sandwiches are largely unchanged since the early days and are available on our lunch menu today. In the early 2000s, we began complementing our sandwich based lunch menu introducing a wildly popular brunch service and then dove into evening service with our highly regarded and exquisitely sourced farm to table dinner and personally curated wine list.
In January of 2022, we suffered a devastating fire that destroyed our historic building at 29th & Rio Grande streets. Late last year, we reopened for business, baking in a commissary space in northeast Austin and serving folks from a 1971 Airstream food trailer under the giant oak in our lovely garden space directly adjacent to our parking lot at 29th street. We are currently working to secure financing and permits to begin rebuilding our building and hope to return to cooking and baking in our former home sometime in 2024.
At present, we are open for breakfast and lunch from 8am-3pm, Tuesdays - Sundays in our lovely outdoor garden space. Please join us.
Pastry & Sweets
- Croissants – butter, chocolate, almond, raspberry, cinnamon sugar, ham & cheese, spinach & cheese, seeded cream cheese
- Muffins – banana nut, blueberry, bran, citrus poppy, seasonal
- Danishes - cheese, blueberry & cheese, strawberry jam & cheese
- Cinnamon rolls
- Sour cream coffee cake slice
- Scones – walnut cream, blueberry
- Cookies – oatmeal raisin, chocolate chip, gingersnap
- TFB Breads
- Sandwich bread – honey oat, 100% wheat, multigrain, sourdough, french
- Sourdough (boule/round) – amber rye, white, pain de campagne
- Raisin pecan
- Buns/rolls/english muffins